Friday 12 June 2020

How Old??

Those of you that know me well will know that this usually accompanies me in my tatty bag.

I hear you asking. .. what is it??

a crochet hook!!  We believe German make and definitely over 100 years old!

It belongs to my Mother in Law and she's almost 99!  She can remember her mum using it when she was little. It fled with her and her father to Berlin in the war. They left the farm virtually empty handed when the Russians were advancing.

She met her husband at the end of the war in Berlin and came to the UK in the late 1940's to get married. Sir was born 10 years later.

It's still in use even given its advanced age, but we can no longer ask questions regarding it's age... She now has dementia and can no longer knit, crochet or sew, or even make a sandwich for herself. We think she's also forgotten how to make a cup of tea. I did manage to get this crochet hook... and use it when I'm tatting! I wouldn't use it for beads or crochet any longer as it's very thin through use. So, nowadays it's still used but only for joining picots!

Anyway, thought I'd show you!!

2 comments:

  1. A special treasure! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's similar to Prym crochet hooks, although they're plastic of course. I wonder if it is, in fact an early version of that brand? It's good that you managed to Soave it, because you will use it!
    I treasure my grandmother's " darning egg", a large cowrie shell well over 150 years old. My grandmother would have been 137 this year, and the cowrie was given to her in the 19 th century by the nun who taught her to darn. It had belonged to this nun, so I can estimate it's age!
    Granny made exquisite darns in my mother's prewar linen sheets, some of which I still have. I no longer use them, but I will never throw them away!

    ReplyDelete