Tuesday 9 June 2020

what to do...

With elderflowers.... Gin?? Ok, I know a lot of you are saying cordial.... But gin appeals!

There's an elder on the boundary of our garden and the railway. Currently in blossom. So I decided to make something with a few flower heads.

A couple of years ago we went to Germany and bought a kilner (mason?) jar full of honey. One of those jars with a glass lid, a rubber seal and a wire metal clip! A tablespoon or 2 of honey had crystallised in the bottom. The rest had been used! I put the 8 or so flower heads in, poured in a bottle of gin from the local shop. Not an expensive gin I might add... The cheap for the UK stuff.... Seal and leave in the cupboard for a week...

Yesterday I decided it had to go back in the bottle... It had turned yellow.... Coffee filter paper in holder balanced on a funnel and drip into the original gin bottle.... Took all afternoon!

We tried it... It tastes like elderflowers smell!! 

I may just have to do it again!!!!

1 comment: