Wednesday 17 December 2014

Silly Season!!!!

Is upon us!!!

Now I know that those of you who read the blog of a certain Tatty O.. G.. (LOL) will have already seen that I call this time of year Silly Season.... I mentioned it in my last post as well....  and I'm sure there are some of you who want to know why....

It has NOTHING to do with any religion whatsoever!!!

Simply put, you go round the shops and people seem to think that their kids need everything on their 'Santa' list!!!  They do not!!!!  You do not need to bankrupt yourselves in order to 'not disappoint' them!  They do not need the latest clothes, gadget, game, bike, ipad, iphone etc., etc!  A little disappointment never did anyone any harm...

Besides that, the supermarkets are chock full of food.... this is not needed in your refrigerator, cupboard, pantry, freezer etc!!!  There is absolutely no need to think that you have to have it all 'just in case' someone comes round!!  They've done the same thing at their house and so do not need to have their stomachs filled again at yours!!  It seems to me that people stock upon enough food to feed a small army for a month... most of which ends up in the bin when it goes out of date!!  Whilst we like a nibble or two, do we really need the tins of ham, enough mince pies to feed the 5,000, wine, whisky, sherry, or any other 'tipple' that springs to mind??  If you do not drink it normally, why buy it at Christmas 'just in case'?!  If they're driving they shouldn't have it anyway!!!

When I go to see friends, I go because I want to see them, have a coffee and a chat, a laugh or two, pass the time with them.... I do not go to see just how much extra food I can get out of their cupboards!!! If you like donating food, why not donate it to somewhere that's deserving instead of the bin!!  Cat food and dog food are gratefully received by the local sanctuary.... or volunteer to take the dogs for a walk if you can... you and your family enjoy the exercise and the fresh air and the animal gets human contact!!  It costs enough in petrol to get to the sanctuary if it isn't in walking distance, and costs not much other than time and a little in shoe leather!!

So, instead of everyone going 'mad' on a spending spree, why not simply spend the time with your family, your friends, the elderly or single person down the street.... give them your time not your money!!   Let's all make a pledge to talk to others, let the kids play with each other, send them out for a snowball fight or to kick a football about, or whatever is popular outside in your area.... lets all make memories for each other.... after all, I think that it was J M Barrie who said .... 'We were given memories so that we could have roses in December'!!

Ok.... got that 'off me chest'  I'll get back down off me soapbox!!

So saying.... I hope you all have a great time over Silly Season, and remember.... friends and family are the best things ever created!!

Chat soon


6 comments:

  1. Well said, the money spent on toys, gadgets etc and food is absolutely ridiculous over Christmas. I really can't understand why people have to buy so much at the supermarket over this coming week, after all they are only closed for one and half days at the most! Roll on the end of the 'silly season' it gets all too much and I for one just want to hibernate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo your sentiments too. It's totally bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleased some peeps agree with me!! Thanks for your comments you two!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said! I thought we in the US were the only ones who overdid it to such a ridiculous extreme. It's not the food, the drink, or the presents that make things worth while - it's the family, the friends, the special memories, and any acts of kindness one can fit in that *really* make the season special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with you ! You make some very good points :-)

    With so much commercialization everywhere, & the marketing & ad blitz, it is easier for people to just follow the rush, rather than take time to think out of the box, to think creatively, spend time making & sharing something 'useful' or thoughtful. And that is the reason why down the years, all holidays seem to have been the same, with no special, unique memories.

    There is another "silly season" - wedding 'season'. Most times, at least here in India, we splurge on peripherals for that single day, rather than create a legacy for the future of the newly married couple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your vision of Christmas sounds idyllic to me - but my adult children and grandchildren too, complain bitterly if I don't bake dozens of mince pies every year.......rum balls too. So much cooking! But there's a trade-off, I don't prepare another meal until Australia Day. Leftovers and salads. Although this year that won't happen, I've just realised as I write this, because we are all going to youngest daughter's new house - first time in over 35 years that I have not had to produce the whole feast, and she will get the leftovers.......

    ReplyDelete